Shillong can arguably be said to be the most charming hill-station of India. Located in Meghalaya, a land famous for receiving the highest rainfall in the world and aptly called the ‘abode of clouds’, it is during the monsoon season when Shillong turns magical. Countless waterfalls and lakes come alive, caves become slippery and clouds play an unending game of hide and seek. It is no wonder honeymooners have always sought these eastern hills of Shillong to make their newlywed days magical and memorable.
Since Shillong was the British headquarter of Northeastern India before independence, the legacy and that romanticism of the Raj is still visible in the architecture, culture and food habits of the townsfolk. Moreover, the rolling hills that constitute the landscape, earned Shillong the title of being the ‘Scotland of the East’. Fashionable men and women walk the streets of Shillong, most of who belong to the Khasi Tribe. One of the most charming people of India, the Khasis are friendly and have stories for almost everything. A conversation with a Khasi can last for hours.
There are many other attractions around Shillong which make a honeymoon in Shillong all the more memorable. Such as Mawlynnong and Cherrapunji.
Mawlynnong is regarded as Asia’s cleanest village located spectacularly in foothills that overlook Bangladesh. Pretty looking houses and colorful flowers mostly make up the village. Cherrapunji needs no introduction. Famous throughout the world for being the wettest and rainiest place, Sohra, as it is locally called, turns into a mysterious landscape during monsoon season. Clouds cover the hills for most of the time, making for an almost ethereal landscape, perfect to spend time in bed with hot Assam tea, or go outside to get wet midst giant waterfalls.
Popular Spots for Couples
1) There are many beautiful lakes around Shillong, such as Umiam Lake, Wards Lake, where couples can go on a serene boat ride.
2) For the culture enthusiastic couple, the Don Bosco Museum of Indigenous North East Culture is the best way to know more about the beautiful people of Northeastern India.
3) Mawphlang Sacred Grove is a wild and stunning community forest which has much folklore associated with it. Good to spend some quiet time midst nature.
4) Other places of interests for the couples are the many waterfalls and caves around Shillong, Mawlynnong (3 hours drive) and Cherrapunji (2 hours drive).
1) White Orchid Guest House – Located at a popular peaceful neighborhood. Good service and management. Rooms available from Rs.750 onwards. Ph. +91 9206315791
2) Rosaville Cottage – Built in 1935, the cottage has an old world charm and a peaceful ambiance. Ph. +91-22-6150 6363
3) Bo-Ville Homestay – Charming old house with wooden details, lush gardens and modern amenities. From Rs.2000 onwards. Ph. +91 -9863062909
Restaurants for Ethnic Cuisine
1) Sesame – Located at Laitumkhrah. Southeast Asian & Traditional Tribal Cuisine. Must try is the Jaintia Thali.
2) Jadoh – Located at Laitumkhrah. Serves all types of local dishes, some with modern influences. Food is quite tasty.
A ‘must-do’ while in Shillong is shopping. Bara Baazar along with M G Marg is considered as one of the biggest markets of Northeast India where you can find a whole range of products – from fashionable cloths to ethnic crafts.
Best time to visit
Shillong can be visited throughout the year. For honeymooners, the best time is to visit in the monsoon season when continuous rainfall and rich greenery form an almost surreal and romantic atmosphere.
Tour of Shillong and the Khasi Hills is a weekend style tour which is great for couples, hooneymooners or for those looking for a quick break midst cool and serene places.
- Romancing The Monsoons : In Shillong
- Why Shillong Flips for WWII Jeeps – An article by Janice Pariatcd
- Photo Of The Day ~ The Living Root Bridges
- Chasing Monsoon in Meghalaya – Mawlynnong and the Southeast Khasi Hills
- Must-Try Food When In Shillong (wheelsonourfeet.wordpress.com)
- My Favourite Places in Shillong (wheelsonourfeet.wordpress.com)
- What To Buy When In Shillong (wheelsonourfeet.wordpress.com)
- DriveDay 13: Shillong: The final stretch (globaladventurists.com)